Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Flight Sim Plans...

Hey Builders!
Here's what I'm up to:
I'm going to build a cessna scale cockpit and place it in a 7ft (2.1m) wide nook in a room.
The screen is 7ft in diameter half-cylinder and I plan on trying to use 2 short throw projectors with some dewarping/blending software.
The screen is made of a 12ft x 5ft section of Wilsonart (alternative brand to Formica) laminate countertop (Designer White). Home Depot Purchase link:http://thd.co/1SeGEoG ($109).
Here's lots of info on using laminate for projected screens: http://bit.ly/25YTBXH
To construct the screen, I decided to cut 2 curved strips of plywood each with a 1/8" wide groove that the laminate could slide into (one for the top, one for the bottom).
In the pictures, you'll see where I made a compass out of a strip of wood to draw the reference lines. Also, I constructed a compass/jig to place my roto-zip into so I could route a decent curve (pictured as well).



I'm hoping that if I can hold the laminate countertop into a cylinder and with a little bit of supports, it will want to keep its shape.
For the cockpit, I'm planning on either using MDF or Acrylic to carve out the panel behind which I would like to use a monitor for both the gauges as well as the radios (with knobs/encoders, switches, etc overlayed in front).

The layout will be similar to the cockpit below.



No comments:

Post a Comment