Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Projectors recieved, Installed, Calibrated!

New Projectors

I received the 2 projectors that seem to be the most popular for this type application -- BenQ HT1085ST (1080p, Conventional Lamp, 2200lm).  I wish I could find something at a lower cost point or something LED based (lower power).  I also tried the Aaxa ST200 (720p, LED, 150lm).  They were just too dim and had lower resolution.  I probably could have lived with them since the room can be totally dark, but once I saw the BenQs, my budget was in trouble.

Projector Alignment

Fly-Elise Immersive Display Pro (IDP) (http://www.fly.elise-ng.net) was used to align the projectors.

As you can see in the test pattern below, this needs some serious alignment.  IDP displays the test pattern and gives alignment nodes to move around to fix the overlapping skewed image.

Time to start tweaking the nodes




Getting Closer...



After much tweaking/twiddling... Fairly well aligned and blended.



Ah yes!



The lines on the side is where I went a bit past 180 deg onto the walls.  It seemed ok for the periphery.

The sim, for now , is X-Plane.  For the cockpit, I'm using Air Manager.

After 2am at this point -- time for bed |-).


[Full Project Blog]

7 comments:

  1. When do I get to come and test it for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I get the physical cockpit built (with gauges, knobs, switches, etc), I'll be eager to get some test pilots :-). Stay tuned.

      Delete
  2. Great! I have a similar setup. How are your projectors placed? Can you please explain or draw where your projectors are located?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started a (shared) spreadsheet to analyze this, but there's still work to be done.
      http://gabesflightsim.blogspot.com/2016/04/projector-planning-and-calculations.html
      There's some key points/vectors to mark on the ceiling:
      1. Center of Circle
      2. Lines pointing toward the left and right 45degree point (center or half the screen) drawn near the desired projector placement (see drawing in spreadsheet)

      I ended up pulling the projectors about 45 inches from the center because I needed about 20% overlap of the projected images to properly cover the center without much of a gap. Since the projectors had zoom, it gave me some placement flexibility and allowed me to screw the ceiling mounts into overhead wood joists.

      Delete